Information you need to register your business
When you register your business with the WSIB - whether you register online or on the phone - you will need to refer to the following information:
- Mailing address
- Phone and fax numbers
- Company address
- Address, phone & fax number of each operating location
- Account number of any prior registered accounts with WSIB
- Legal name of company and trade name(s)
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Business Number
- Name, location and phone number for a contact person who deals with payroll records (if different from your primary location)
- Bank name
- A description of your business activity
- A description of the product you produce, the goods you sell or the services you provide (we will use this information to determine your rate group and your premium rate)
- An indication of your predominant business activity if you have more than one
- Payroll Information for any other business activities you maintain
- Names and addresses of any associated employers/contractors, plus their account numbers if possible
- Your website address, if applicable, and email address
- Names, addresses, birthdates and official titles of Directors or owners of the company (and proof of earnings if you will be requesting optional insurance).
Information about workers
- Dates that workers were first employed
- The number of workers you employ
You will need to estimate the insurable earnings you will pay to workers for the current year. Insurable earnings are usually reported on your workers' pay stubs or T4 slips as gross earnings, including deductions for income tax, CPP and employment insurance. Insurable earnings can also include earnings not reported on a T4 such as room and board, bonuses and commissions.
If you are carrying on a business in construction and need details about estimating your insurable earnings, read about Mandatory coverage in the construction industry
Insurable earnings are subject to a maximum amount for each worker. For 2013, that amount is $83,200.