First aid program
All employers who are subject to the Occupational Health and Safety Act must comply with Regulation 1101 under Section 3 of the Workplace Safety & Insurance Act. The specific obligations that apply to your business are described in detail in the brochure, First Aid Requirements (Regulation 1101) (250.2kb, PDF).
In summary, regulations dictate that:
- The expense of first aid equipment and services will be carried by the employer
- First aid equipment must be inspected regularly and accurate records of these inspections must be kept
- First aid stations must be easily accessible and be supervised by workers who:
- have valid first aid certificates from a WSIB-recognized training organization
- work in the immediate vicinity of the stations
- Employers must post all required first aid information where it can be seen clearly
- Employers must keep detailed records of all accidents and first aid treatment given
First aid kits
You may assemble your own first aid kit for your workplace, using Regulation 1101 (250.2kb, PDF) as a guide. You may also purchase ready-made first aid kits from the supplier of your choice. The WSIB does not endorse any particular first aid kit vendor.
First aid training for workers
You can obtain first aid training for your workers by contacting the training organization of your choice. See a list of approved first aid trainers.
These first aid training providers offer first aid programs that have met our equivalency criteria (133k, pdf).
For more information, call 1-800-663-6639 or 416-344-1016 or email: email@example.com.