To assist you with your policy questions, we offer three convenient ways to help you get the information you’re looking for:
- Visit the Policy and legislation website page and review either the Operational Policy Manual (OPM) or the Employer Classification Manual (ECM)
- Call us toll-free at 1-800-387-0750 and speak to one of our representatives weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., or
- Send an email directly to either our Operational Policy Branch or Occupational Disease Policy and Research Branch.
If you send your policy inquiry by email, please review these important reminders first.
Please note that staff in our policy branches are not decision-makers nor do they have access to worker claim files or employer account information. Their role is to provide you with a better understanding of our existing policies.
- For questions specific to claim files, contact your Case manager
- For employer account information, contact our Employer Service Centre
If you send a question by email to either our Operational Policy Branch or Occupational Disease Policy and Research Branch, please do not include:
- any claim or account details
- personal or financial information, or
- any attachments - including documents related to a new or existing WSIB claim or account.
Information in manuals
The OPM contains policies that the WSIB uses to make decisions about worker and employer rights and obligations, employer premiums, benefits and other related workplace safety and insurance issues.
The ECM describes the 800-plus Classification Units (CUs) used by the WSIB to classify all business activities into approximately 150 rate groups.
Assistance with phone inquiries
If you contact us by phone, we’ll do our best to assist you with general policy questions. Complex or more detailed policy inquiries will be reviewed by one of our policy analysts, who will provide a response within three business days.
If you have a question specific to your WSIB claim, one of our representatives will direct you to your case manager or adjudicator to discuss it further.
If you have a question specific to your employer account, one of our reps will direct you to our Employer Service Centre.
Operational Policy emails
Inquiries to our Operational Policy Branch should deal with Benefits policy and Revenue policy issues such as:
- claims entitlement, return to work, health care, and payment of benefits
- coverage under the insurance plan, classification of businesses and premiums payable, calculation of insurable earnings, and experience rating incentive programs.
Email our Operational Policy Branch at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Occupational Disease Policy emails
Our Occupational Disease Policy and Research Branch provides scientific, medical and technical support on issues related to occupational diseases.
Email our Occupational Disease Policy and Research Branch at: email@example.com
We will respond to all emails wiithin three business days.