Workers: helping you stay informed and stay safe

What workers should know...about reporting workplace injuries and illnesses

Most Ontario workers have workplace insurance if they are injured or become ill from their work. This fact sheet will help you know when and how to report a claim.

What if someone gets injured at work or the work makes them ill?

Follow these key steps

  1. Get first aid immediately, or medical care if needed.
  2. Tell the employer or supervisor about the injury or illness as soon as possible.

Who has to report to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)?

It is the employer’s duty to notify the WSIB immediately. The employer can complete and submit an Employer’s Report of Injury/Disease by fax or mail. They can print it off the WSIB website -- or get copies from the nearest WSIB office (check the phone book).

The employer must also:

  • Pay the worker’s wages for the day or shift the injury occurred
  • Arrange and pay for transportation to get medical care if it is needed
  • Give you a copy of the accident report once it is completed.

Check with your employer to see if they have reported the injury or illness. If you do not think they will report it, then you can contact us directly.  

Claiming benefits

We register the claim when we get the employer’s report, or sometimes from the doctor’s report. Then we send you a form so you can describe what happened. You should complete, sign and send this form back to us as soon as possible. This is important because we need your signature to:

  • confirm you are claiming benefits and
  • get your permission for the doctor who treats you to give your employer information to help with early and safe return to work.  This information is about what you are able to do as you go back to work.

If you get health care treatment?

1.    Tell the person treating you that the injury happened at work.

2.    If you are ill and you think it was caused by something at work, tell the doctor

  • when you first noticed symptoms
  • what the work conditions are and how long you have worked in these conditions.

3.    The doctor or person treating you needs to complete a report and send it to the WSIB so you can claim benefits. On the form there are places for you to give information about yourself and your employer.

When can workers claim benefits?

As a worker, you can claim benefits if you have:

  • received medical attention and/or
  • lost time or wages from work beyond the day of injury
  • had to do different work for more than 7 days due to the injury, at regular or reduced wages (the employer must report immediately if the worker still needs different work after 7 days)
  • continued to work, but on a reduced work schedule, at regular or reduced wages.

When not to claim benefits

Do not make a claim if ALL FOUR statements that follow are true:

  1. only first aid treatment was required
  2. you did not take any time off work
  3. your pay was not affected
  4. your job duties did not change as a result of the injury.

What are the benefits of quick reporting?

The WSIB insurance benefits pay for:

  • health care to treat the injury/illness
  • help getting back to work and
  • temporary income (wage loss) while recovering.

If the claim is approved, the wage loss benefit pays you for time missed after the day of injury. The employer must pay you full wages for the day of injury.

What if you think nobody has notified the WSIB?

We can help you with your claim. We speak many languages.  Call us directly at 1-800-387-0750.  If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call TTY: 1-800-387-0050. It is important to claim benefits as soon as possible. You have six months from the date of the injury to claim benefits or, for occupational diseases, from the start of the illness.

What are my other responsibilities if injured at work?

You need to:

  • stay in contact with your employer while you recover
  • talk with your employer about ways to return to work quickly and safely, including doing different work from your regular job, or working shorter hours.

If you are injured at work ? tell your employer immediately.

It is the employer’s responsibility to report all workplace injuries and illnesses.

They can only report injuries or illnesses they know about. 

Workplace Safety and Insurance Board

Ontario’s Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) plays a key role in the province’s occupational health and safety system. The WSIB administers no-fault workplace insurance for employers and their workers and is committed to the prevention of workplace injuries and illnesses. The WSIB provides disability benefits, monitors the quality of healthcare, and assists in early and safe return to work for workers who are injured on the job or contract an occupational disease.

This information is available in several languages by calling our information hotline at 416-344-1000, toll-free 1-800-387-0750  or Telephone Service for the Deaf  (TTY): 1-800-387-0050

Pour obtenir un exemplaire en français, composez le 1-800-387-0750.