Board of Directors
Who we are
What we do
The Board of Directors is made up of the Chair, President and Chief Executive Officer and seven to nine board members who represent workers, employers and others.
The Government of Ontario appoints our Board of Directors and our members are public servants.
Our Board governs the WSIB regarding:
- workplace safety
- reducing and preventing injury, disease and fatalities
- administering the insurance plan
- providing compensation and other benefits to injured workers and their survivors
- facilitating workers' recovery, return to work and re-entry into the labour market
Who we are
- Mrs. Elizabeth Witmer, Chair, Workplace Safety & Insurance Board of Ontario
- Mr. David Marshall, President & CEO, Workplace Safety & Insurance Board of Ontario
- Mr. P. Morgan McCague, former Senior Vice-President, Asset Mix and Risk, Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, current directorships with GCAN Insurance Company, First Coverage and Excel Funds
- Ms. Sari Sairanen, National Health & Safety Director, CAW-Canada
- Ms. Lea M. Ray, CA, ICD.D
- Mr. Brendan Calder, Adjunct Professor of Strategic Management and Entrepreneur in Residence at the Rotman School of Management
- Dr. Alice Dong, Medical Consultant to Disability Management Services, RBC Insurance
- Ms. Lynda Bowles, FCA, Director of the West Park Health Care Centre and the Technical Standards and Safety Authority
- Mr. Scott Wilson, Executive Director of the Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge Injured Workers Group
- Mr. Bryce Walker, Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries, a Chartered Financial Analyst, ICD.D designation from Rotman.
Read our Board of Directors' biographies.
What we do
We have five Board Committees that enable the Board of Directors to receive advice from WSIB officers and employees. Representatives from the Board of Directors act in an advisory capacity on these committees.
Committee membership *
|Committee||Frequency||Current Members as per BOD Minutes|
|Audit and Finance (140.8kb, PDF)||At least quarterly||
Lea Ray - Chair
|Health and Safety (56.6kb, PDF)||Prior to each Board of Directors Meeting||Sari Sairanen - Chair
|Investment (441.7kb, PDF)||At least quarterly||
Morgan McCague - Chair
|Human Resources and Compensation (99.9kb, PDF)||At least quarterly||Bryce Walker - Chair
|Governance (109.5kb, PDF)||At least quarterly||Elizabeth Witmer - Chair
* The Chair is an ex officio member of all board committees. The President is an ex officio member of any committee where he is not an appointed member.
Read our board meeting motions.
- Corporate Governance Policy (1.5mb, pdf)
- Statement of investment policies and procedures (957.4kb, PDF)
- Annual reports
- Value for money audits
- Quarterly reports